Extensive work has been invested in sustainable business solutions resulting in Design House being recognized as the first commercial graphic and website design studio to be an ecoBiz accredited Partner with the Queensland Government in 2009 and also the first ecobiz Partner from the Hervey Bay region.
ecoBiz assists businesses to identify efficiencies in waste, water and energy for financial and environmental benefits.
"ecoBiz has allowed us to record and register our improved environmental practise in the office. Design House can now continue to grow in a sustainable and environmentally friendly manner".
Jeanette Maynes General Manager | Design House
Design House have committed to continual improvement as part of their commitment to the ecoBiz program. Current initiatives include:
- Improved thermostat settings 250C
- The use of protective film and blinds on windows
- Windows are opened during cooler weather to take advantage of natural ventilation.
- The airconditioning is turned off after hours
- Outsourced server function to a host server in another location, no longer require a second airconditioner dedicated to cooling the server 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Energy efficient lighting
- Setting computer defaults to black and white printing
- Providing paper recycling bins at all printers and desks
- Utilizing old sheets of paper for writing notes instead of purchasing writing pads
- Reduction in printing of emails, by saving straight to the clients file
- Proofs, proposals and invoices are delivered electronically saving on paper, ink cartridges, postage and envelopes
- New campaigns and important news are communicated via email (eg. monthly enewsletter) over printed material wherever feasible
- Mbox fax system, faxes are received via email and saved straight to the clients file
- Clients are encouraged to pay online via credit card or direct deposit, once again to save on paper
- Request all incoming invoices (Telstra, printers etc) are electronically emailed or uploaded rather than printed and posted via Australia Post
- Environmentally aware behaviour in the office has led to reduced energy usage and a reduction in paper use
- Carbon offsets are purchased on all airline flights & travel tickets
The Department of Environment and Resource Management (DERM) approached Design House to produce a range of material, including information guidelines and information sheets, for publication on the DERM website.
These publications will focus on the energy efficiency and sustainable practices used by Design House as an example of what can be easily and quickly realised by industry to save energy through the adoption of effective practices.
Design House Sustainable Business Info Sheets - Heating and Cooling & The ‘paperless’ office
On Saturday 28th March 2009, Design House took part in Earth Hour.
On that day, people in Australia and around the world turned off their lights between 8:30-9:30 pm for one hour -- Earth Hour -- showing their support and sending a powerful global message that it's possible to take action on climate change and succeed.
Design House has officially registered and participated again in Earth Hour; for one hour, every year since.
Design House utilizes Printing Companies that believe in being environmentally responsible by:
- Using soy based inks
- Producing plates through the Agfa Azura chemical free plate processor
- Offering a range of specials printed on 100% RECYCLED STOCK .
Design House offers A Greener Hosting Solution by utilizing a company that believes in being environmentally responsible by:
Paying a Carbon Offset and planting one tree for every new paying customer!
This company is one of only a possible few hosting companys in Australia that has implemented a one new account, one new tree policy.
Design House and our suppliers support sustainable long term growth by meeting the needs of not only our customers but also our environment; this takes us all one step closer to a greener future.
More environmental news here!